Monday, January 28, 2008

Children's Literature, Briefly: Chapters 6-9


I loved the ideas that the chapter gives for building appreciation for poetry in students. By keeping poetry light and humorous we can build up an enjoyment for poetry then use that positive reception to build a bridge into more traditional verses. The chapter had a wonderful suggestion, writing a different poem on the board everyday and not reading it to the students but allowing them to find it on their own and allow them to the freedom of choosing to be interested or not. The key to making poetry enjoyable to students is to mix light and humorous with traditional verses on a frequent daily basis, and allowing some freedom of choice the type of poetry they like. I believe that after reading this chapter I have a better understanding of my own experience with poetry and how to prevent the resentment I felt for it in my future students.

Tunnel, Michael O., and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc., 2008.

No comments: